St James was chosen by the ladies of the congregation for the first weatherboard church built in 1878.
James, was often called ‘the Great’, was a Galilean fisherman who, with his brother John, was one of the first apostles to be called by Jesus to follow him. The two brothers were with Jesus at his transfiguration and with him again in the garden at Gethsemane. They annoyed the other followers of Jesus by asking to set one at his left and the other at his right when he came into his glory and they were present for the appearance of Christ after the resurrection. James was put to death by the sword on the order of Herod Agrippa, who hoped in vain that, by disposing of the Christian leaders, he could stem the flow of those hearing the good news and becoming followers of the Way. James’ martyrdom is believed to have taken place in the year 44AD.
The tradition is that at the martyrdom of St. James, his body was smuggled out of Herod’s land. By ship it was taken to Spain. As the ship approached land a horse and rider were seen on shore. The restless horse plunged into the sea to greet the ship but in a few moments appeared again on shore covered over with white-lined scallop shells. The rider, said to be a bridegroom, went joyfully on to his wedding. The scallop shell has always since been the emblem for St. James.
36 Cleveland Terrace, Townsville
PO Box 108
Townsville, Qld, 4810
Telephone: 0423 833 451
Or contact the Dean,
The Very Reverend
Dr Kenneth Lay
0422 148 952 or email@example.com.